In order to get the file size it will have to be uploaded first. Which
defeats the purpose of your progress bar. It can be done with the
ActiveX or something but then you have the security issues.

-----Original Message-----
From: Burns, John [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2004 10:25 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: Check file size?

That's basically what I'm trying to do also.  Here's the logic I'm
following.  Any server gurus or file upload gurus, please correct me if
I'm wrong.  I've seen something like this done on another site and I'm
trying to figure out if I can implement it with cf.

1. A user chooses a file in a form and submits it.
2. I pop open a new window passing the result of cgi.content_length and
form.filename to the new window (before I do the cffile action=""> to upload the file)
3. In the pop-up, I do a cfdirectory action="" filter="filename" to
return the physical file size of the uploaded file.  I then want to
display to the user xkb of #cgi.content_length#kb is uploaded.
4. In theory, if I refresh the pop-up every second or two, the user can
see the progress of the upload.

Does that make sense?  Anyone have a better way of doing this?

John