Just because the framework is changing doesn't mean that you have to keep up
to date.  I've still got a couple Fusebox 4 apps that are running beta
cores, because I don't want/need to update them.  I've also got apps running
CF4.5 servers that have no need of CFMX or even CF5 functions.

You're absolutely right that keeping an app up to date on a framework is
expensive, but it's also frequently unneccessary, so the cost is irrelevant.

Cheers,
barneyb