I need help, I'm going crazy trying to find out about online payment
processing and gateway providers in Italy. I have a new client, a
university in Italy, whom I'm building a Web application for, where
students can come buy and pay for stuff.

Not being from Italy and speaking only very limited amount of Italian, I've
found it to be somewhat of a challenge finding out about local credit/debit
cards etc.

The biggest question that I'm still not sure I have the right answer to is:
How do young people, age 18-28, pay for things they're purchasing online?
The obvious answer would be Visa/Mastercard and so on, but what I'm hearing
everywhere is that young people simply don't have those credit cards, so
what do they do instead? Is there no online shopping for young people in
Italy?

It's my understanding so far that the Bancomat card cannot be used online
at all, is that true? The CartaSi card, does everyone have that? And can
the CartaSi card be used online if there isn't Visa, Mastercard or similar
on it? What about CartaFacile?

Any input greatly appreciated.

Jack