Dave Watts wrote:
>You need to remove the NAME attribute. This attribute attempts to
>build a query object out of the returned page, which only works with
>suitably formatted data.

That was it!  Thanks very, very much for looking at this.  Finally I can get back to work, I think.

This was all working in production from September '03 to as recently as the first week of January.  *something* changed somewhere in between then and now to break this, but as long as its working now...  I was able to dust off a copy of CF 4.5.1sp2 (which is what I actually developed this app in) and it worked perfectly there.