To make it a little easier to work with I would suggest using tag like
syntax instead of comment syntax.

<?mytags:link?>
<?mytags:link main="1" /?>
<?mytags:link?>

Then use regular expressions to parse the page into a structure replace
your tags with the appropriate data, write the page to disk or memory,
and then save the unparsed page as a template.