Another generalization is that the more complex security is, the harder it
is to make sure there aren't any holes.

IMHO, security should be blindingly simple.  Only by doing that can you make
sure you identify and test all the edge cases.  You can stack layer upon
layer of security, but each layer should be simple and independent.

Not to say that it's always possible to keep is really simple, but the
simpler the better in my book.

Cheers,
barneyb