Are you mapping it to a URL?
I use this technique sucesfully - here's the setting on the "Error Mapping Properties":

Error Code: 404
Default Text: Not Found
Message Type: URL

HTH
Bert

Ps you'll notice I use SES style URLs to pass parameters to the page - I've got a feeling that normal URL parameters didn't work, or did something strange, but it was a long time ago I set it up so I can't say for sure.