From: Mark A. Kruger - CFG [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 8:39 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: IIS Custom Error Pages in CF?

Yes you can.

1) Go into IIS properties for your site and choose the "custom errors"
tab.
2) Select the 404 error and choose edit.
3) change the "message type" from file to URL
4) Enter a .cfm page with a path relative to THIS site.  So, for
example, if you put a "missingFile.cfm" handler in your root folder you
would enter "missingFile.cfm" - or if it was in a folder called Bob it
would be "Bob/missingfile.cfm".

This can be quite useful.  I use this technique for some subscription
sites that wish to create unique URL's for their client subscribers.
After subscribing the user is instructed to use "blah.com/name" (i.e.
blah.com/MarySmith).  Of course the directory "MarySmith" doesn't exist
so the request is forwarded to my .cfm file handler.  The file handler
parses out "MarySmith" and sends the user to a customized page for login
or whatever.

A similar trick uses a wildcard entry on a DNS server to allow a user to
go to "marySmith.blah.com" - both tricks are great for sales CRM tools,
real estate sites and the like - any place where you want a use to have
a "personal website"
but it actually connected to a larger group or site.

-mark

Mark A. Kruger, MCSE, CFG
www.cfwebtools.com
www.necfug.com