How about..

http://www.dansteinman.com/dynduo/

For one such API :)

-----Original Message-----
From: Benjamin S. Rogers [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, August 11, 2000 10:03 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: VERY SAD (was <CFGRID onvalidate="???">)

>It got to the point that our clients "requested" (AKA ordered) us to remove
>them from their sites. There customers were complaining quite a bit. We
>removed them and never looked back. In any instance now where we would
>consider using a CFGRID - usually in an admin section, we use <IFRAME> and
>warn users that IE is required.

Heh, heh, heh. Instead of restricting the browsers that were having problems
you restrict everyone not using Internet Explorer. Don't get me wrong, in
controlled situations, we only design for Internet Explorer 4 and up, but it
seems like you're arguing 6 in one, half a dozen in the other.

I still maintain that we've had no problems with the "stability" of the
Allaire Java applets. We've used them in quite a few apps, though only in
Intranet/Extranet/Administration apps, however, because we didn't feel the
common user was comfortable with (or capable of) installing Java classes on
their machine.

>I am in the process of investigating ways of using flash instead of
><IFRAME>.

<iframe> and <ilayer> are remarkably similar in terms of functionality,
although they require completely different attributes and are referenced
differently by JavaScript. However, if you developed a relatively simple
JavaScript API, you can make alter the control the <iframe>/<ilayer>
transparently. Take a look at O'Reilly's _DHTML: The Definitive Guide_ for a
better explanation and an API from which to get started.

Benjamin S. Rogers
Web Developer, c4.net
voice: (508) 240-0051
fax: (508) 240-0057