At the risk of being on both sides of an issue, it this case XUL vs
Flash, here's an interesting quote:

"The open source revolution has done nothing to change the fact that
the best-designed, most-intuitive user interfaces are found in
closed-source commercial software."

This comes form a commentary posted at:

     http://daringfireball.net/2004/04/spray_on_usability

While the post date is suspicious, the article raises several
interesting points re freeware vs pay'n'play

It's worth the read!

HTH

Dick