In DNS if you have a Wild Card A record meaning any URL 3rd Level Domain
Name will be directed to this IP

*     A    99.99.99.99
@   A   99.99.99.99

IN IIS Go to the "Web Site" tab of the Web Site and click Advanced. This
shows the Host Headers. Click on Add Select the IP enter the Port but leave
the Host Header Blank.

Now when someone goes to http://WHATEVER.yourdomain.com
<http://whatever.yourdomain.com/>  they go to that site.

I most cases the Default Website on the server will have the "ALL
Unassigned" Host header so if you do not have a Blank Host header then the
request will be directed to the default site. That site is usually the IIS
Administration site and is Locked down.

Rick