I did talk to the server admin, and she hadn't changed any of the settings
recently, but when I checked the CF Administrator on our test site (which
works), I noticed that the locking information was set differently, so I
changed the lock settings in the production CF Administrator from "Full
Checking" to "No Automatic Checking", and that cleared up the problem
because the code uses the name attribute instead of the scope attribute.

What I find odd, however, is that this code and the production CF Admin
server settings have not changed in 2 years, meaning that the production
environment has been set to "Full Checking" for a long time, so why did it
suddenly throw the error yesterday?