> Paul, thanks a ton.  This actually does work, and seems to convert the
string to UTF8 byte representation.  Is there a way I can assign the
resulting bytecode to a variable as an actual string (raw code)?

not following you. if you assign a result from that method:

strData=jObj.getBytes("UTF-8");

strData will be a binary (i want to say array of bytes but not without
checking first). is that what you meant?

> The goal is that I must be able to hash the bytes as a string, then get
the resulting UTF8 bytes of the hash in hex for encryption purposes.  The
job is made a lot touger when CF5 is involved.

probably not following but you might want to look at using a transliterator,
there's one based on icu4j in the exchange (and on
http://www.cfczone.org/cfcs/index.cfm). that might give you some ideas.