You can spend zero to many thousand dollars on load testing software,
depending on what you need.  I've always been happy with httpload, which is
an incredibly simple app (for *nix at least, don't know about windows) that
will take a set of URLs, and request them at whatever speed you want, for
however long you want, and then generate a nice little report afterwards.
It's far from feature rich, but it's a very effective tool.

<rant>
"is cfloop really needed" is a horrible thing to look at before you do load
testing.  Improperly indexed databases, and ineffecient queries are the
major culprits, so until you've exhaustively tested those, worry about
nothing else.  Once that's done, look for caching opportunities on the front
side of the application (cache pregenerated content, either in memory, or as
static files).  Once that's done, make sure you code is as readable and well
encapsulated as possible.  After that, think about increasing the hardware
resources that drive the application (split app and DB between boxes, make a
cluster, add more servers to the cluster, whatever).  Next, go BBQ some
steaks, have a few beers, and watch some TV.  Then start rewriting the
application in a language designed with performance closer to the top of the
priority list than CF (JSP would be a start, pure Servlets is better, some
C/C++ web server filters/modules, and then perhaps even a dedicated
webserver/application combination).  Time to check the hardware setup again.
Almost done now.  Time for another BBQ, this time with some nice bratwurst,
and maybe some fresh grilled corn on the cob.  Finally, think about removing
loops that aren't strictly necessary, but make code more readable.

And of course, don't forget to load test after each and every step,
excluding the BBQ ones.
</rant>

Cheers,
barneyb