so I can do it as administrator, and change it in the services panel, and
restart, and things should be good?

tw

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Watts [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, June 25, 2004 11:46 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: cffile question

> ok I used the unc path, and still the same thing.

The SYSTEM account has no rights or access to other servers, via UNC paths
or drive mappings.

> what are the implications if I change the cfmx server to be a
> different account, other than localSystem?  what could happen
> if I make the change?
>
> can I do it on the fly and it wont alter anything else? lets
> say if I use an administrator account...

If you use an administrator account, it should be very easy for you to do
this. Of course, you'd still need to make sure that this administrative
account has rights to the remote shares to be able to access them from CF.

If you use a non-administrative account, as I'd strongly recommend, you will
need to ensure that this account has the right to run as a service, and that
it has modify rights to the directory containing the CFMX server binaries
and read-execute rights to the directory containing your CF code. There's no
reason you need to run CF as an administrative account.

In fact, you can get very restrictive about the CF account's rights and
permissions. The CF account simply needs read rights to your CF files, not
execute rights, and it doesn't need modify rights to the entire
CFusionMX\JRun directory. It's just easier to set up that way, of course.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
phone: 202-797-5496
fax: 202-797-5444