On Jun 29, 2004, at 6:49 AM, Dave Watts wrote:

> > >  So are you playing devil's advocate or do you really believe CF
>  > > would be good to use for desktop apps??  :-)
>  >
>  > No, I am serious ... Dave Watts pointed out that "If all you have is
>  > a hammer, everything looks like a nail"
>  >
>  > Well, I have lots of nails!
>
>  I think you may have misunderstood me. CF may be the hammer for
> nailing web
>  applications, but if you start building desktop apps because you
> think it's
>  the best way to do that, you'll be screwed.

Well, here's the dilemma(s)

I want to write apps that:

-- run on Mac, 'Nix, windows desktops

-- have an acceptable UI that won't be more difficult to write/
maintain than the app, itself.  A browser is acceptable, procedural
Flash should be better in most cases.

-- the apps need the ability to manipulate local databases and files to
generate reports, syndication, graphics, or present drill-down/search
results

-- some apps need the ability to control (script) the OS and other
desktop applications.

-- some apps will need to manipulate files created by other desktop
apps (PDF, MP3, MOV, ,DOC, etc).

-- some apps will interface the web (FTP, HTTP, web services, mail, etc)

-- the actual processing time of the app is not especially critical and
would largly be limited by db or file I/O -- in fact, performance is
prolly less important on the desktop (1 user) than on a server
(multiple, concurrent users).

-- The ability to create an ad hoc RADD app is important -- important
enough to sacrifice UI and performance

So what are the tools available?

Java
JSP
_javascript_
Perl
Other cross-platform scripting languages
PHP
CFML

Given, the above requirements, CFMX or BD can do 95% of what I want at
acceptable performance.  I could use another language to compensate for
any CFML deficiencies, prolly in descending order: Java, JSP, PHP, Perl
(based on ease of integration and my experience/abilities).

Is there a better way?

TIA

Dick