> I know that but:
>
> 1) didn't Netscape have a flaver of _javascript_ that supported
> push technology -- called "LiveScript"?

LiveScript was simply the initial name for _javascript_, if I recall
correctly. As a marketing ploy, Netscape changed the name shortly after Sun
announced Java.

> 2) Can't you do Push with CGI?

Yes, if the browser makes a request and receives a response with a MIME type
of "multipart/x-mixed-replace". This basically allows the server to continue
its response indefinitely. I don't even know if modern browsers support
this, though.

> 3) Doesn't a web server, in fact, listen for unsolicited requests?

Yes, that's pretty much what a web server is all about.

> 4) Given 3, couldn't a client also be running a server, and
> listening for unsolicited requests.

Yes, but the browser isn't going to do that for you. You'd basically have to
install a server on each user's machine. I suspect most network
administrators would have some issues with that.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
phone: 202-797-5496
fax: 202-797-5444