Dave,
    Yes it is a very generic error indeed! I have both examined the logs, AND sent them to (paid) MM support. They were stumped. The logs say nothing. The only other symptom we notice is that we cannot start and stop the MM/JRUN windows services, instead we restart the server. I'd say this is a specific server error, but we get it on another web server also (our site is load balanced). It doesn't appear on both sites at the same time, unless the DB server (separate machine) shuts down.

    Thanks for the follow up.

         David