> But the error message infers that the login is not being accepted.

<hot button>
*implies*

You might *infer* from the error message that the login is not being accepted.
The error message might well *imply* that the login is not being accepted.

Sorry, but my wife & I were just bemoaning the fact that many people
out there don't know the difference between affect / effect, mute /
moot, and infer / imply and I swore to her that computer people get
infer / imply right most of the time...
</hot button>