> The types of functions you are describing need not be client based.
>
> You could do this by just selecting an area of an image (a fairly easy
dhtml or flash function), then submitting the results to the server with the
imagename, function and select area.

Yes, this is exactly what we do. We have a DHTML front end which allows you
to select an area of the image, which talks to a JSP back end which uses
java classes to do the heavy lifting. Works beautifully - gives the server a
lot of work though.

Nick