Steve, I faced the same issues due the number of fresh installs. The process of updating this hotfixes/security patches one-by-one is so daunting that I decided to make a "package" by my own (read the previous messages of this thread). Also, I keep track of the changes in the RSS feed for ColdFusion Technotes - http://www.macromedia.com/go/rss_coldfusion - and add/change then to this package as soon as they are released.

The updating processes are almost equal to all fixes available. You basically need to stop the CF services (and related ones such as Crystal - if it's running), replace or/and add files to the CF_root folder structure, add some tweak JVM arguments (inside the CFAdministrator) and restart the service. It's easy to do in a single step for stand-alone installs both in Windows and Linux boxes if you have a single fix "repository".

Till we don't have a updater and a better updating process (which is expected for Blackstone) I suggest you to make the same. Take a look in this very simple guide I've wrote: http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cfgigolo.com%2Funsorted%2Freadme_pacotao.txt&langpair=pt%7Cen&hl=pt-BR&ie=UTF-8&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools (translations are very hard to do, but you can have the big picture)

I second that the coldfusionupdater.macromedia.com! ;-) Will be very good and I believe is not that hard to build.

[]'s
Alex