You can configure client variable storage ONLY at the CF server instance
level.  However, it's amazingly trivial to create your own client variables
storage mechanims, which can store stuff wherever you want.  And since
you're storing everything yourself, you can extend the functionality as
well, such as providing serialization for complex data.

Cheers,
barneyb