  From: Dick Applebaum
  To: CF-Talk
  Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2004 8:06 AM
  Subject: SOT: Is this possible? was mediaPlayer

  Rick Eidson and I (separately and together) are trying to develop
  web-based (or Web/Desktop-based) multimedia players.

  In the web version, the media (songs, movies, photos) reside on the
  server.

  When a user logs in he (theoritically) is able to manipulate the media
  much as he would do with iTunes or other desktop media
  managers/players.

  You would have the ability to have playlists or albums and do such
  activities: search, sort, drill-down,create-shuffle playlists, run
  slide shows.

  All this is quite possible and is in various stages of implementation.

  Where the problem comes in, is this:

  Say I have a play list & now I want to play the songs.

  All either of us have been able to do is select 1 song and play it.

  Rick is trying to use WMP & I am trying to use QT.

  When you play a song, you are actually downloading it.  Some browsers
  are intelligent enough to handle the song or movie with a browser
  plugin -- others require you to pick an application to run the file.

  I prefer the plugin & here's what I want to happen:

  By selecting a song I open a popup (to preserve the current window).
  Then the popup issues a request for the song from a CF program on the
  server.

  The song downloads and the browser recognizes the file type so it kicks
  off the QT plugin which takes over the popup and plays the song with a
  QT display (same thing happens for videos).

  The problem is this:  Once QT takes control of the window, I lose all
  ability to do anything with the content of that window through
  _javascript_.  I can't switch songs, nor play another song when the
  current one completes.  All I have been able to do is a js
  window.close.

  So I am stuck.

  My questions:

  Is this possible with _javascript_?

  Is it possible with a Java applet?

  If not possible with a plugin, could _javascript_ invoke a desktop player
  (WMP or QT) and pass it the song.

  Could a Java applet do this.

  If none of the above, is there any other way?

  Any help will be greatly appreciated!

  TIA

  Dick