Are you still running 6.0? I believe they fixed this in 6.1. In 6.0 I
resorted to either using request scoped vars or using code to
cfinclude the UDF when executionmode=start.

Also, if you just want the tag to run in start mode, you can simply
put this at the end of your custom tag:

<cfexit method="EXITTAG">

No need to check execution mode. This one line will simply make the
custom tag run in start mode.