I've been using ProtoFax for about 3 years and it works great.  We send out a bunch of faxes every day and it's held up nicely.  The best part is that it will take HTML and convert it to a fax.  So you can basically just do a CFSaveContent around some HTML/CF code and save the file to the ProtoFax "drop folder", and presto the file is fax offed.  You have to add some header info in the file (fax number, subject) though.  I have a custom tag that does all this if you're interested.

Best Regards-
Andrew