> Hi

> How can I remove UNICODE characters from Coldfusion, is
> there a
> script/custom tag I can include to ensure that characters
> such as

> ' " - etc are displayed correctly and not as * * *

No guarantees that users won't insert other characters in your forms,
but don't use nchar, nvarchar, ntext or nclob datatypes in your db's,
and use the setEncoding() function to set form and url scopes to latin
ISO-8859-1 character set. Also use <cfprocessingdirective
charset="ISO-8859-1"> in your application.cfm and that will make your
application all latin by default. I believe that if people insert
non-latin characters in your forms however that these will appear
garbled when returned from your database. For instance, someone
inserted an umlaut into one of my db's which was using utf-8 and in my
email client which doesn't support unicode, it showed up as an
accented A followed by an ascii "1/2" symbol. Since these are valid
latin characters (afaik) I don't believe there's any good way to
remove or replace them once they've been inserted.

s. isaac dealey     954.927.5117
new epoch : isn't it time for a change?

add features without fixtures with
the onTap open source framework