> Why shouldnt you need to remove Unicode characters ??

why remove them? there isn't anything "wrong" with unicode chars in a text
stream. i use unicode all the time, its our standard.

> As you will encounter non-standard characters. The most common example is
an accent in someone's name, such as José or Jürgen, but another example is
"smart quotes" inserted by Word. that will display on screen as the 'black
outline square character'

what on earth are "non-standard characters"? if my name were spelled like
that, i wouldn't think these were "non-standard characters". those chars
from windows codepage are another story, if i recall correctly that charset
is more like a superset of latin-1 (iso-8859-1) which often catches folks
out.