> ??? I can write code in _javascript_ to verify whatever I want, almost as easily as in CF.

yeah its not hard, thats not the point

> But most of the validation can be and SHOULD be done client side on the contrary.

yes it should, for convenince. But once that is done it should be validated again on server side.

> The advantage is that it is much faster and the user still can go back to make the necessary modifications.

the only advantage is it's speed. normally when your JS validates ok, your serverside code will as well and the user wont be back to the form for modifications, Whereas if the JS validation DOES catch an error, th euser is still there and no waiting has to happen.

>Many sites using server side validation will just tell you there is an error and just redisplay the empty form, this is very frustrating.

I dont know what sites you are going to but they're poorly written

> If verification is done server side, the server must return the user to the form with the
field initialized with the values the user already filled in, even if there are errors.

?? post forms back to theirselves and call to action if its a submit?

> Well, is a user turns off his _javascript_, it's HIS problem, and _javascript_ is so much used
that chances he ever reaches a page with a form are very low anyway.

once again... i dont know what pages you are visiting. But YOU tell a client that just paid 1000's of dollars for an application coded by you that his IT department is going to have change the way they do things because YOU have code in their network now that hinges on rather or not a USER end feature is on or off.

more change for ya

  >>First and foremost, users can turn it off at will.

  Well, is a user turns off his _javascript_, it's HIS problem, and _javascript_ is so much used
  that chances he ever reaches a page with a form are very low anyway.

  >>Secondly, most JS validation is only written to validate type, not value.

  ??? I can write code in _javascript_ to verify whatever I want, almost as easily as in CF.
  The only thing I cannot do is check values against data stored in the database.
  This should be checked on server side of course.
  But most of the validation can be and SHOULD be done client side on the contrary.
  The advantage is that it is much faster and the user still can go back to make the necessary modifications.
  Many sites using server side validation will just tell you there is an error and just redisplay the empty form,
  this is very frustrating. If verification is done server side, the server must return the user to the form with the
  field initialized with the values the user already filled in, even if there are errors.
  With _javascript_ validation, this is automatic.