Couple of things that are pretty easy to implement if you design with
them in mind

1)Tell them who you (the company and & site developer) are (names of
real people, if possible) and what you are about -- many customers like
know something about who they do business with.
2) Give them an unconditional, satisfaction guaranteed -- no questions
asked!
3) Accommodate the power/return shopper as well as the lookie-loo
(browser) -- Make it easy for the power shopper to get in, buy and get
out ( don't throw a lot of "specials" at them (but have a option for
them to look at specials, if they desire)
4) try to make it (the buying experience as pleasant as possible)
5) Explain the above what & why in an "about this site/how to use)
screen (available if they so choose)
6) Ask for feedback & follow up on it
7) if many orders are multi-item, arrange it so the cart frame (inner
window, etc) scrolls--not the entire window-- nothing more tedious then
to have to scroll the window back up to see the nav bar, etc.
8) try to have the cart (maybe abbreviated) visible at all stages --
including checkout
9) If possible ballpark (high) the shipping charges and show with each
item (or the omni-visible cart) so this is calculated as they shop.
10) have a checkbox where they indicate if they are a resident of the
state(s) where you do business -- thus their order is taxable --
compute and show taxes on the omni-present cart.
11) give the user the option of saving personal credit information on
the site, or not.
12) TTT (tellum, tellum, tellum) that you won't sell/provide this info
to anyone -- then DON'T!
13) Provide a search (if your product line is big enough) but do not
overwrite the cart screen (I prefer a popup) provide
category/keyword/similar items/related items & accessory searches as
necessary
14) provide a product details screen (again, I prefer a popup) link in
the search results, catalog pages, and in the cart item itself
15) save the cart, etc to a database, as they enter items -- so if they
get interrupted in the middle of a long order, they can come back &
pickup where they left off -- tell them you are doing this -- they will
appreciate it
16) Put yourself if the role of a shopper, not a developer -- make the
site work the way a shopper would want it -- everything at your
fingertips, nothing shoved in your face  -- it must be intuitive and
easy to use!

Whew

That should get you started!

HTH