>>Basically what I have is like a to do list. But lets say I want to take item #5 and drop it between item #2 and #3 so it becomes
the new #3 and the old #3 becomes #4 and so on.....

I think in your case, I wouldn't use true drag'n drop, I mean drag events.
Drag events are really to copy some content and paste it some where else.
In your case, what you want to do is just identify an element in an array and rearrange that array depending where you drop the element. Just use mousedown event to identify the element being dragged, change the cursor, and use a mouseup event to identify where the drop occurs, But do not use drag events for this, it is much too complicated for what you need.