It's part of CF's built-in server-side validation, the ones that you
can use CFERROR to capture.  CFFORM has it's own client-side
validation, but that's managed via attributes to the CFINPUT,
CFSELECT, etc. tags.  You can use the two in parallel, of course, but
they're totally separate.

cheers,
barneyb

--