Mark Drew wrote:
> I think people have missed the point here,
> the point is not access to a computer and/or internet (use a laptop!)
> I think what the poster mentions is the need to use
> 1) software inventory with links to the relevant software and updates
> (eg. windows update and macromedia update)

I didn't miss that point: notepad. It is an excellent tool to
write a batchfile with a list of URLs to feed into wget to
download and then automatically install and reboot.

> 2) a step-by-step installtion instructions that can be displayed
>
> With my "developer" hat on, I would say you need something that adds
> items to a database in the order you do the steps, with a url/upload
> field of the software used in that step and settings screenshots

And I would say: go all the way, write the script that does the
work instead of the program that shows you how to do the work.

Even with all the settings and screenshots coming out of a
database, you are bound to make a typo or something and screw up
the rebuilt. Especially since it is quite likely that you will be
under considerable pressure to get it done yesterday when
rebuilding a server. Don't take chances, script it.

Jochem