-----Original Message-----
From:  Al Everett
Date:  9/29/04 9:51 am
To:  CF-Talk
Subj:  SESSION vs. CLIENT

We're working in a clustered environment (eight servers in one pool, two
in several others) on Windows 2000/IIS 5.0 behind a BigIP load balancer
with some CF5 and some CFMX. (Very soon to go all CFMX.)

We use Session variables extensively to keep track of user's logon
information, which has required us to use "stick sessions" on the load
balancer to keep users stuck to a server. However, we've gone through
several exercises with certain customers because of the way their proxy
servers/firewall block or trap cookies or other issues.

I have suggested that if we were to go to Client variables in a database
for that information we would remove the need for sticky sessions. The
argument against me has always been that a database transaction is too
expensive. Back before our database was tuned and we resolved a bunch of
network issues I would have agreed, but we're almost guaranteed to have
at least one call to the database on every page load right now and the
site is fine. (Oracle 9i running on Solaris.)

Does anybody have any good statistical and/or anecdotal evidence on
whether Sesssion is better or worse than Client variables, specifically
in CFMX6.1?