Could you explain your reasoning or why you need to do this?  Maybe there
is a better solution?

DF >> The reason is that management has placed an ad and has the add appearing as 'www.somepage.com/welcome'

Does redirection work if you access the url directly (including the index.htm)?  If so, then it would appear that the web server is not recognizing that as the default document.

DF >> Yes, the redirection does work if I access directly. What I think you're saying here is that the web server needs to be configured to access it in that manner... is that correct? That's what I thought initially.

DF >> To explain again, to those new to this discussion, here's what I'm trying to do.. We need the url that the client types in to appear as 'www.somepage.com/welcome' NOT '/welcome.htm' NOT '/welcome/index.htm' and NOT /welcome/.

Any help would be appreciated... cheers!