I'm tidying up my understanding of error handling and realising how
casual I've been up till now.   not really worrying if a user gets a
standard error message.  There are much more graceful ways to tell
them what idiots they've been.

In particular, I'm right now getting to grips with "page not found"
errors.  I've set up my web server to serve a custom 404 page, but it
doesnt work for .cfm pages.  The web server is sending the request off
to coldfusion and waiting for CF to send it back.

How do I make the error.cfm template recognise that the error is a
page not found error, and customise the message accordingly?     I
guess a similar question applies to 403 errors and the others too.
Since the  suffix is .cfm, IIs wont class them as 403s or the other
kinds of errors, but just pass them on to the CFMX server for
processing.

Is there a standard way to deal with these errors?

(I think I've grasped the database errors and erros like divide by
zero and invalid data etc, and I reckon you can do some pretty cool
things in making errors disappear for users.  In my case it's been a
badly under-utilised aspect of ColdFusion.  )

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
AFP Webworks