Thanks for your suggestion John.

There's no way to do it in my own sites? i have to get the system guys
in the hosting company to do it?

The control panel we use turns on custom 404s (and other IIs error
messages) but doesnt do it for CFM.  So I have to build something in
coldfusion to handle it, or else beg and plead for the system guys at
the hosting company (who arent anywhere near as accommodating I am
with my own hosting clients) to do it.  These fellas have the view
that if i want something, then I must be up to some skullduggery by
default.  their default answer to anything is "no".  (Please dont
suggest moving hosts - if the client was going to do that I'd have
moved them to my servers ages ago!).

All i need to do is have some kind of 'missing template' handler for
coldfusion templates, implented on a site basis not a server-wide
basis.

Apparently, judging by the lack of ideas of how to do it,  it can't be
done.   No?

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia