Emmet,

I don't know as I've ever seen a .gif or .jpg that was ever cmyk (only
time I ever really see .png is within a Flash movie). I know when I open
various ones within PS and look at the Mode under the Image menu all of
them appear to be either RGB or Indexed color. I also know that, when
transferring an image from PS to ImageReady, to make a web ready image,
it always stops me if the image isn't already RGB. Somebody stop me if
I'm wrong here. Hope some of this helps. Now if the image you are
testing is not a native web format image (.tiff, .pdf, etc.), that might
be a different story...

Cutter