From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2000 10:23 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re:RE: OT: Securing Code ( was "Download Code")

I'm no expert in matters of intellectual property, but I have worked in a
parallel field.  You can check with a lawyer, but in general, the
person/company/organization that has asked and paid for software development
owns the code (and can do with it what they might without
consulting/including
any developer) unless there is specific language in your contract to the
contrary.  Anyone who is contracting programming/development services is
wise if
they have their contract reviewed to cover them in cases where there might
be
future financial gain.  Do a web search on "intellectual property rights"
and I
think you will find it very interesting.  Also note, some employers will not
sign a contract that covers you - so be aware.  Employers like contracts
that
protect them and say something to the effect that you/developers can't
develop a
similar application for x number of years.

Carol L. Bluestein
Senior Programmer
NYS Office of Real Property
518-486-6335