I would bet that a simple firefox extension that did a lookup of known
URLs for spyware before anything is downloaded would make a significant
difference. As long as it alerted the user to the exact nature of the
spyware and it's potential negative impact the purpose would be served.

I wouldn't expect every random user to have it installed, but it would
make my life a lot easier if I could install it on behalf of mom, pop,
aunt, uncle etc.

Spike