What database are you using?  preserveSingleQuotes() has always worked
for me, exactly as intended.

However, before you go too far down this road, I'd recommend not using
CFSCRIPT for this code, because there is a query inside.  Sure, you
can make a wrapper, as you tried, but doing that will prevent you from
using CFQUERYPARAM, will force you to put your SQL in a string (rather
than inlined, where it's both easier to read, and available for tools
to operate on), and will generally make for code that's less readable,
because it's dramatically different than 99.9% of CF code (which uses
CFQUERY directly).

Of course, you're the one with the knowledge of your particular
situation, not I, so you're the only one who can make an informed
decision.  So don't just assume I know what I'm talking about, and
that it applies to your specific case.

cheers,
barneyb

--