There are a few CSS parsing bugs that are unique to IE as well.  You
can use those to easily specify both dimensions.  For example, IE will
transparently ignore // "comment" in stylesheets, while Mozilla
correctly recognizes the invalid syntax and ignores through the end of
the rule.  That lets you do things like this:

#mydiv {
  width: 50px;
  border: 1px solid #f90;
  padding: 3px;
  margin: 0px;
  // width: 58px;
}

Now the "mydiv" box will appear the same width on both IE and FF (50
pixel content area, 58 pixels to the outside of the borders).  There
is also a hack termed the "box model hack" that a google search should
turn up quite easily.

To return to the discussion (read: flame war) of a few days ago, this
is a good example of developing compliant code, and then tweaking it
for IE's discrepancies.  In other words, I deal with the first four
lines of that style block, and then when I'm finished with everything,
fire it up and IE and see what bits of hackery I need to add (the
fifth line).  In general, there aren't very many unless you'd doing
pretty complicated layout stuff that requires pixel perfection.

cheers,
barneyb

--
Barney Boisvert