> If you force IE 6 into quirks mode, you still have to hack the box
> model--in quirks mode you'll just be lumping IE 6 in with the hack. The
> simple method of doing this is:

Quirks mode allows developers to maintain backwards compatibility and avoid
all those really ugly hacks you included in your message. The problem with
the hacks is that they all rely on implementation bugs. If this were object
oriented programming, the phrase would be "program to the interface, not the
implementation."

> You could also use conditional comments to feed any version of IE
> selectors, properties, and values as necessary:

I agree with the use of conditional comments as override mechanism for the
reasons you mention. It's important to note the difference between this and
the other hacks you described: this is a documented feature. As such, you
can rely on it. It's also semantically clear.

> Standards mode for IE 6 is not too buggy for production. I'll agree it's
> not even close to perfect, but it is a step in the right direction and a
> far cry better than IE 5.x's poor CSS support.

My interpretation of what Micha was saying is that trying to use standards
mode (as opposed to quirks mode), brings out the bugs and odd behavior in
older browsers. This leads to more development time and ugly hacks like the
ones you mentioned. Of course, I may have misunderstood Micha. :)

Ben Rogers
http://www.c4.net
v.508.240.0051
f.508.240.0057