I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, but if it's SQL, I've
done this in the past:

SELECT *
FROM table
WHERE id < #currentId#
ORDER BY id DESC
LIMIT 1

for getting the previous item.  Just flipt the < to > and make the
order ASC to get next record.  The LIMIT clause is MySQL's version of
MS products' TOP clause.  If you want to "fast forward", the LIMIT
clause also specifies an offset, so you can do LIMIT 19, 1 to pull the
20th item in the list.  With MS's TOP clause, you have to pull all 20,
and then just look at the last one, I believe.

cheers,
barneyb

--
Barney Boisvert