These are both very good points. There are a few definitions in Eclipse that
you have to come to grips with first. Once you understand them, you might
still think it's kind of bizarre (I do), but understanding these will at
least get you over the first couple of hurdles.

Plug-ins are pretty easy to install (even if they can be troublesome to get
working). However, as Lewis notes, you have to understand the basic Eclipse
directory structure to install many of the plug-ins. Some of the plug-ins
actually assume that you've installed Eclipse in a directory called
"eclipse".

For example, assuming you have extracted Eclipse to a directory called
eclipse, the path to your plug-ins directory will look something like this
(on Windows):

  C:\eclipse\plugins\

Individual plug-ins will each have their own directory under the plug-ins
directory. They are named using the tld.domain.project naming convention
followed by an underscore and version number. So the 1.1.16 version of
CFEclipse will be in a directory called:

  com.rohanclan.cfml_1.1.16

What I usually do is download the plug-in to a neutral place like my
desktop. I then extract the plug-in to a sub-directory of the same name.
You'll usually end up with one of three different directory structures:

  tld.domain.project_0.0.0\
  plugins\tld.domain.project_0.0.0\
  eclipse\plugins\tld.domain.project_0.0.0\

Identify which you have and then copy the files over accordingly. Meaning,
if you have the first, copy the tld.domain.project_0.0.0 directory into the
C:\eclipse\plugins\ directory. If you have the second, drag the plugins
folder (and any others such as features or configuration), into the eclipse
installation director, C:\eclipse\. If you have the latter, switch to the
eclipse directory and do the same.

I believe plug-ins can also be distributed in jar form
(tld.domain.project_0.0.0.jar). I think you drop these files right in the
plugins directory, but I'm not too sure about this.

Ben Rogers
http://www.c4.net
v.508.240.0051
f.508.240.0057