> I love Cold Fusion, but this is a really rotten basket that screams of
> design flaw.  Do we have a commitment from Allaire that this mess is
> going to get fixed in the next version?

I don't think Allaire has committed to any specific changes in locking.

> Locking needs to be handled on the back-end and not be dependant upon
> programmers to behave themselves, especially in shared environments.

I'd prefer to not have to deal with locking things either, but would point
out that in more complex environments, the programmer may often be
responsible for locking. Why do you need to use CFLOCK to protect CFXs (at
least those that need to be protected)? Because the developer of the CFX
didn't write thread-safe (i.e. locking) code. I'm not saying that the way
locking is handled in CF now is the way it should be handled, but you can't
take responsibility for application performance away from the programmer
writing the application.

As for shared environments, you're always going to be at the mercy of the
people you're sharing with.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496