Just my two cents..

    We currently run couple of sites that do about.. constant 7Mbps on
single CPU 3GB RAM CFMX Pro Server. The system crahses out at around
18-20Mbps (days after Thanksgiving)

    DB is on a seperate box and seperate nic..

    When doing cost estimates keep in mind the cost for upgrades to the
firewall.. .. just updated.. to Cisco Pix 100Mbps and RackSpace is
charging extra $360.00 month.. (on top of $250 before)

    For dedicated hosting I higly recommend RackSpace.. nice tech
support and good turnaround on updates and new installs.

    You can also look into moving images and static content off the
system.. might free up some resources..

    For going to load balancing there is no magic number.. I've seen
some application run at 75Mbps through output.. (MOD Perl - Cache -
SharedMem - Custom Compiled Apache at 2048 users) and seen others crash
at 1mbps..

    Clean up the code.. off put as much processing to the DB as you can..

    use StoredProcs, Cfqueryparam.. use good coding practice.. etc.. etc..

--
Regards
Farooq