> Named:
> <cfset setDSN(dsName:"myDatasourceName")>
> or
> <cfset setDSN(dsName="myDatasourceName")>

Aha! This I got immediately. I understand it all now and once we were both
clear on what I was doing, it makes perfect sense both in what you were
doing, and syntactically what you were writing. I've seen the lower named
method in 99.99% of the examples that use that method, I don't honestly
recall ever seeing the upper method used. But once I see what it is, it
makes perfect sense.

> Positional:
> <cfset setDSN("myDatasourceName")>
>
> Any of the above is perfectly valid. I personally prefer named
> arguments because it makes my calling code more explicit in that I
> don't have to go open the CFC to see what the argument name is that
> I'm passing in.

...and this makes a LOT of sense. It's something I'm going to start trying
to look at closer.

> Further, if you use positional argument notation and
> the order of your arguments gets messed up, then you will be setting
> the wrong values for each argument!

...again, another terrific reason...

> I should note that many prefer
> positional notation because it's just like Java, JavaScript, etc.,
> where you just pass in the value, and it keeps your coding guidelines
> more consistent.

Exactly! For me it was simply force of habit...

> Hopefully this helps a bit more?

TONS more...thanks so much!