you can get MSDE to work on 1433 but you need to set it up in the
Network Utility that comes with the Enterprise Manager. I had a bitch
of a time when i had previous uninstalled Microsoft Business Contact
Manager (which uses MSDE internally) that came preloaded as the MSDE
install created a new MSDE instance on a funny instance name and i
couldn't get CFMX to talk to it - I was dumfounded when the sp3 for
MSDE actually created a new instance of MSDE rather than upgrading my
current instance!! But thankfully after a few hours of playing i got
it working!!

jb.