From: Jared Rypka-Hauer - CMG, LLC [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, January 14, 2005 11:59 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: CFmail and receiving 1 copy

True, Calvin... and sometimes you get really great advice!

Sometimes you end up with a mishmash of options that just mean you
know less than you started out with. Gotta love it.

But as a side note, I've done things like all 4 of the below, thinking
I was doing really great stuff by altering the behaviors of things to
be "creative" in my development. What you generally end up with is
something that's cool and unique, and hard to support, and easily
broken.

If you've got 2 separate cfmail tags, you can tell at a glance what
each does, you have no extra code to read thru to remember what you
did or figure out what someone else did, you have 2 tags that execute
as purposed, each of those tags executes quite efficiently, and
there's nothing else going on.

Of ALL the options we've discussed, other than 2 separate tags and
individual emails to each student, the only other option I'd really go
for is:
<cfmail to="[EMAIL PROTECTED]" bcc="#valueList(student_query)#">

And that I'd want to test, VERY thouroughly, to insure that on the off
chance I end up with a student_query that's over 1,000 records I
wasn't going to bomb the app. And I'd include a failto= attribute (if
you're using 6.1 anyway) in case the messages fail.

If you use 2 separate tags, each student gets their own copy, which is
essentially how cfmail was "intended" to work in the first place. If
you use the BCC attribute, you're handing the responsibility for the
success of a much larger single operation off to an external system
(the mail server), whereas if you use single emails from 2 cfmail tags
you can be relatively certain that (being a simpler, smaller act of
sending on mail to one recip for each row in the query) it will
succeed.

If I were going for "creative" I'd say hell yeah, do it however and
tell us what nifty thing it was. I used to do that. At this point, I
get more satisfaction from developing something that's
standards-based, rock-solid, and as self-contained and cohesive as
possible.

Ain't tellin ya what to do, just why I'd do what I'd do.

Laterz,

Continuum Media Group LLC
Burnsville, MN 55337
http://www.web-relevant.com