>> 10 drive raid

>Which controller? Chipset? Battery backup? RAM?

Looking at an adaptec U320, 256 MB w/battery backup for 72 hours. The rest
of the system is a SuperMicro serverworks dual xeon mobo + case. It has 10
drive bays in the 4U case with a backplane and hotswap. 4GB of ram. About
$6,000 for the whole thing.

>> What RAID config would you use for the databases?

>Depends on what RAID controller you have. If it is IOP321 based,
10 disks in a RAID 6 or 9 disks in a RAID 5 and a hotspare.

I didn't know what RAID 6 is -- "RAID-6. This type is similar to RAID-5 but
includes a second parity scheme that is distributed across different drives
and thus offers extremely high fault- and drive-failure tolerance. There are
few or no commercial examples currently."

So you would have only one data volume for the two databases? What about the
logs?

>> How important is (battery backed) write cache for the raid?

>It is the single most important way to improve performance on the
hardware side.

Sounds like this would be a hard limit on scalability for connections per
second because of the cfsessions client vars.

Thanks,
Matt